The skin is the body's largest organ and accounts for roughly 18% of an adult's weight. It serves as a protective outer layer that keeps in moisture and keeps out invasive organism (like infections). It protects our organs against injury. It also helps regulate the body's temperature and has self-healing capabilities.
The best way to maintain healthy skin is to prevent skin damage from occurring in the first place. Wrinkles, age spots and leathery patches are the result of skin damage from overexposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun. The aging process is unavoidable causing the skin to become dryer and thinner. Repeated movements of facial muscles, such as frowning, smiling or squinting, cause wrinkles over time. Stress, gravity, and obesity also contribute to aging skin. Lastly, thinner skin is more susceptible to bruising.
The premature aging of the skin from ultraviolet light exposure is called photoaging. Photoaging occurs when ultraviolet radiation penetrates deep into the dermis, damaging collagen fibers and causing the increased production of abnormal elastin. This breakdown in fundamental skin structures leads to deep wrinkles, fine lines, discoloration of the skin (age or liver spots), leatheriness and sagging skin.
Skin Care Routine
A good skin routine throughout life can reduce the symptoms of aging. Be sure to follow these steps for Healthy Beautiful Skin:
1. Wash your face using a gentle cleanser and lukewarm water twice a day.
- Try Revitalizing Cleanser for normal to dry skin, Perfect Cleanser for combination skin, and Clarifying Cleanser for oily/acne prone skin.
2 . Pat skin dry with a soft cloth.
- Try Dr. Z's plush micro-fiber towel.
3. Exfoliate the skin twice a week to remove dead cells with a scrub free glycolic or salicylic acid product.
- Dr. Z’s Favorite Glycolic Cleanser or our New Z Peel Pads!
4. Apply Topical Vitamin C Serum in the morning to a clean dry face.
- A well-formulated Vitamin C Serum with 15% concentrated Vitamin C
5. Wear a physical sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 every day.
- Dr. Z’s must have ZMD SPF 30- sunscreen and makeup primer in one!
6. Apply Tretinoin/Retinol to clean dry skin at night.
- Dr. Z’s RA Creams have the perfect strength for all skin types: RA 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05%. .1% (Prescription only)
- For women who wear makeup, be sure to leave time each day when the skin is clean and free of makeup.
- Do not use tanning beds.
- Maintain a healthy diet and drink lots of water.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep every day.
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid stress.
- Conduct a monthly self-examination of your skin to detect any changes that might lead to skin cancer.
- See your dermatologist once a year.
Beyond prevention, in today's world, there is a wide range of options for slowing down the effects of aging on the skin. See the Our Treatments section of this website for more information about:
- Relaxants: Botox, Dysport
- Filler Treatments for Volume Replacement
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing
- Chemical Peels
- Ultherapy “Non-Surgical Lift”
- IPL “Intense Pulsed Light”
For more information about skin care,
call Z Aesthetic Dermatology at (225) 778-7540 today!