Scars are distinctive and noticeable marks on the skin that commonly appear due to a skin injury or irritation. There may be a treatment for your scar that can restore an even pigment to your skin. A dermatologist at Z Aesthetic Dermatology, with offices in Prairieville and Baton Rouge, LA, will examine your skin and suggest the best course of treatment for eliminating or reducing the appearance of your scar.
What Causes Scars?
These are some of the most common causes of scars:
- An injury, like a cut or bruise, that leaves a dark or red mark behind after the healing process is complete.
- Cases of eczema or contact dermatitis (after the rash clears up, scars may remain).
- Acne flare-ups.
- Removal of a skin growth, like a mole, by your dermatologist could leave a slight scar behind.
- Keloids, which are raised scars (caused by overproduction of skin tissue).
- Hyperpigmentation (overproduction of melanin beneath the skin’s surface can cause dark spots, which resemble scars.
Treatments for Scars
At Z Aesthetic Dermatology in Prairieville and Baton Rouge, LA, your dermatologist will offer you the latest and most advanced scar revision treatments. Here are a few possible options:
- Dermabrasion or microdermabrasion (takes the top layer of the scar off so that new healthier looking skin can regenerate).
- Resurfacing or chemical peels.
- Dermal filler injections (helps to plump up the skin when there’s a scar that looks like it has sunken into the skin).
- Acne treatments (such as retinol and Salicylic acid).
Keeping Your Skin Bright and Evenly Toned
Having a clear, even skin tone without scars and marks can do miracles for your overall appearance and confidence. There are steps you can take at home after being treated by your Prairieville and Baton Rouge, LA dermatologist to ensure that your skin stays fresh and rejuvenated:
- Avoid direct sunlight and use a dermatologist-approved product with sunscreen, as sun damage can cause or deepen the appearance of scars.
- Use a skin cleanser, moisturizer, and toner suggested by your skin doctor daily.
- Have any wound promptly treated by your skin doctor to ensure proper healing.
Get Help from Your Dermatologist
It can be difficult to live with a scar, especially when it’s located in a conspicuous place on your body. A dermatologist at Z Aesthetic Dermatology in Prairieville or Baton Rouge, LA can provide you with scar treatments and even out the appearance of your skin. Call (225) 778-7540 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Ann Zedlitz.